Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Finding New Life


Photo Lay-out by Bro. Jr
Davao;Tagum;New Corella; Compostela Valley;Agusan del Sur;and Surigao del Sur Trip
April 26- May 1, 2012

   There is thrill in life because there is movement on it. But such thrill is not automatically brought about by the movement that comes along the advancement of dates, the natural changes within our body and the environment and the turning of once-new-things into old. The so-called thrill would only come if we will allow our movements to take us somewhere we have never been, out of our comfort zone, and then render some piece of sacrifice for the name of fun, for the sake of finding that thrill. I know from that moment I decided to take a leave and book ticket going to Davao with my friends ate Manay and Via, ‘thrill’ is what I’m going to find. But I was wrong--- not because I did not found one but because I found more than the thrill I was looking for.

     The first thing I learned, which I think my friends did too, was patience. Imagine, having to wait for four hours because the flight was delayed. For travelers, four hours meant four hours adjustments in the schedule. It meant four hours deduction from the actual time we should be in our much-wanted-to-see-destination. It meant Bro Gilbert has to wait longer than what we intended. But we are taught to learn how to wait on the other hand. It meant more time to prepare ourselves for a different routine that moment…time to realize that sometimes we just needed something to read…time to realize that there are still many things beyond our control.
Here’s another thing to learn: fellowship. While growing up, I get to discover many things about myself by being alone. I get to find inner peace and gain profounder insights which I still do until today. But the moment we had developed a stronger connection with the Amigonian Brothers and Fathers community in Cavite, I was really amazed with the kind of bond they have, how they would get so excited with the presence of each one and even though they had spent most of their time with each other in the seminary, they are still sharing their vacation with each other. Truly, it was nothing more but a family. But it doesn’t end among them! It extends even to their families. There’s a ‘feel of being at home’ wherever we go, from the house of Bro Dareen, to that of Bro Joselito, Bro Gilbert and Bro Stephen!

     Now, it’s time to have that thrill. Being fondly called by the brothers as ‘Dora’ (the Explorer), I just couldn’t find words to describe how eager I am to say ‘yes’ to their invitation for us to go to their ‘places.’ That April 28 (since we arrived in Davao at 12:08 midnight) until early morning of May 2 adventures were truly something we could never forget. We just love the food anywhere we go and we truly enjoyed the live music during the Thanksgiving party of bro Dareen, kuya July and Gift Anne. We are overwhelmed with the warm accommodation. There were so many “first time’s” like first time to taste Lamaw (coconut strips and juice with milk and to our surprise- a bottle of Royal softdrink and slices of biscuits!), first time to use several types of vehicles in just 5 days (salamat Clarion family), first time to meet Lolong in Agusan del Sur and many more! And yes, we definitely want second time and more!

      The sight of Enchanted River in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur was just so inviting I couldn’t help but regret of not knowing how to swim! But what makes it more enchanting as its name suggests is the view of the school of fish enjoying their blue-colored 85 feet deep home (85 feet nga ba yun?). The golden sand in Margarett Island Peak Resort was so irresistible that we don’t mind lying down and get some sleep. How can we ever forget the few minutes climb to witness another breath-taking view of the sea (or was it already part of the Pacific Ocean?)? How can we forget the wonderful ride itself going to and going back to our destination?

      But there’s still more to learn in that trip. God’s plans for us lead us to a place I will always remember until my last breath: in Panas Inland Resort. I don’t like to talk about the specifics anymore as I am now remembering the experience in a different way. All I know is that it was in that almost half an hour experience with my friends that I realized that I just don’t have any idea of what stage of my life I am living now. Have I lived the 50% of it or just the beginning? Or have I already lived the length of time I’m allowed to consume? Truly, it was not just a battle against the current of water. It was a battle to win a new life- and we won because we did not do it alone.

    There’s love, care, heroism, sacrifice, courage, brotherhood and sisterhood, concern, optimism, hope---all rolled into one, that no amount of transition from once calm flow of water into a threatening flood can ever broke us. Yes, we were afraid (it was a kind of fear that I forgot when was the last time I felt such), we were terrified, we were troubled, we were worried, but we were not broken. And so we thank our heroes so much (you all know who you are), you were our life-savers no matter where they were that time, whether they make it to the edge (bro Joselito, bro Jay-ar, bro Frank, bro Jun Tabby and the rest I couldn’t mention anymore), whether they did their best looking for ropes, wood, or even a banner in a bamboo stick (like that of bro Mars, hahaha), or whether they are comforting from afar, people we know before, people we just knew from that vacation, people we do not even know who helped in actions and in prayers! And it was not just about the rescue, because even after it, we were being comforted. How can we ever thank you! We are all victorious in gaining new life as what Tito Joy reflected right after the incident (what an optimistic man)! God is really so good!

        As I was freely pouring out everything in this work which would serve as an account of a life-changing experience, then I just felt that I should courageously admit that there was this person who motivated me to write this (motivation doesn’t mean, he told me to write this because he absolutely did not, but motivation in the sense that many of his acts, though could be just natural for him, yet for me and my friends, were acts we would always be amazed of, acts which have set the ‘standards’ of what does it mean to be the host, acts that our hearts would always remember. So in the truest practice of being courageous, I admit that I was writing this too with him in mind. As ate Manay, Via and me would use to share among each other, we would always wish to find so many other “brother Dareen’s” in the world, so many other who would like him, go beyond the bounds of hospitality by giving and giving more, who did not even hesitated to offer to us their cozy homes in Monkayo (yup, homes!), who waited until pass three AM thereby letting go of the should-have-been-much-needed-sleep just to welcome us, who despite having so many other guests he too, was not able to see for quite a long time, would still religiously come to us to check if we are still doing great or if we need something, who  eagerly taught us how to use their sophisticated mop, and who made us feel that our presence was valued. On a personal note, I thank him for every meaningful discussions we had (from simple topics like what does this symbol of less than three means to mind-challenging ones like the life of Hitler, and to soul-breaking realities of violence, poverty and injustice). I tell you, I am still in the process of realizing that such simple conversations do make sense! I thank him for being appreciative and affirming, caring and sincere. Yet above them all, you bro Dareen, made us realize that this old adage is true: “Friendship is not how long you’ve been together.” Though we had known each other for not that long, thanks for treating us like we’re old friends and we pray, that just like most friendships that were created and tested in this world, ours and that of the brothers will remain steadfast and grow stronger and stronger too in the years to come.

     Then, we headed to another place: in Matin-ao in New Corella where we spent the remaining hours of our stay until we travelled back to Manila again. And I would like to end this blog hanging like this, because I know, there will be a part two of this very soon, right? Truly, we found more than thrill—we found lessons, we found values, we found deeper meaning of love and fun, we found new life...

A boat ride away from Enchanted River is the Margarett Island Peak Resort, one of the must-see attraction in Surigao del Sur.                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers